Bryan Gathright. Best-selling sportswriter and golf teaching legend, the late Harvey Penick, personally chose Bryan Gathright to carry on his legacy by naming him the original director of his golf academy. Through their invaluable time together at Austin Country Club, Harvey shared with Bryan the secrets to making a good player great, and a great player truly inspiring. Harvey’s driving philosophy was to take the time, no matter what level the player, to listen and watch, sometimes in complete silence for what could seem prolonged periods of time. Penick believed only then could a true teacher know what needs to be said. The Penick legacy is a golden part of what makes Bryan one of golf’s most respected teachers, one of Golf Magazine’s Top 100.
Learning from Bryan Gathright is an opportunity to share in the Penick legacy. Bryan has been a teaching professional since 1987 and his experience in golf covers more than 45 years. He is also classified as one of the Top Teachers in Texas by both Golf Digest and Texas Monthly. Gathright was selected the 1997 and 2000 Southern Texas PGA Teacher of the Year.
If the ultimate measure of a teacher is the success of his students, Gathright has helped some of the best in the game. Gathright’s pupils include four-time PGA Tour winner Notah Begay III, five-time LPGA winner and U.S. Amateur and U.S. Junior Amateur Champion Dorothy Delasin. He also taught former Nationwide Tour Player of the Year, six-time PGA winner, 2014 Ryder Cup Team Member, 2015 Presidents Cup Team Member and most recently winner of the 2016 PGA Major Championship Jimmy Walker, and has taught former Texas Open Champion, David Ogrin. Bryan works with numerous other top tour professionals, collegiate and amateur players.
Giving back to the community.
- Underprivileged Juniors. I have taught numerous underprivileged juniors complimentary lessons and clinics, supported the First Tee of SA through equipment donations, sponsorship of underprivileged kids, and soliciting teams for the 1st Annual First Tee Junior Golf Benefit this August.
- Wounded Warriors. Personally, my most gratifying event to date was hosting a complimentary golf clinic for the Wounded Warriors golf group at Oak Hills Country Club, San Antonio, Texas. The opportunity to help these heroes learn to play a game we love and share is one of the greatest gifts golf has given me.
Bryan on Air.
- KVET Radio 1300AM. Airing weekly (Sundays 8am-9am) on KVET Radio 1300AM in Austin, Texas. "That’s Golf," hosted by Jim Apfelbaum is in its 17th year on the air, and Bryan has actually been doing the show continuously since March of 1993. To listen to KVET live, click here for iHeart connection.
- Other venues. Additionally, Bryan makes numerous guest appearances on Sirius XM Radio on the Dewsweepers Golf Show broadcast nationally on PGA TOUR Radio.
Contact Bryan via:
- Email: email@example.com or
- Text or call: (210) 373-6055